Sunday, May 11, 2014

Post #10

Throughout the semester we studied and examined a vast variety of garden styles and structures throughout European history. The range of garden forms I have found quite interesting and intriguing. Watching the transition of styles, plant types, and uses of gardens really goes to show the wide diversity of garden art history. It has been quite fascinating to learn about, and many of these elements of gardens I had not considered in the past. Even though I enjoyed study all the different types of gardens, the arts and crafts gardens were my favorite.

There is something so appealing about the way the formal and informal are meshed together in this style. The way the plants appear to grow freely, but in fact are methodically arranged and planned out. These gardens by Jekyll and Lutyens were so captivating and so realistic for people’s homes. I really appreciated the importance of Kent and Capability Brown’s work, but there is something to be said for creating a beautiful garden a home and not an estate.


In my future home, I hope to have a garden that resembles something along the lines of an arts and crafts garden. The meandering paths and herbaceous boarders can give one the feeling of getting lost in the garden, while still having it controlled and maintained. I love the appeared randomness of the planting Jekyll creates in her gardens when she mixes up the different textures, heights, and colors of plants. This element makes each arts and crafts garden appear more unique, which I really value. I think each garden should have it’s own feeling, it’s own design, and it’s own layout. Gardens should not be cookie-cutter plans as we saw with the gardens during the Italian Renaissance. Arts and crafts gardens need to work with the genius of the location, which I think is a more respectable way of creating gardens.

Sources:
http://www.gardenvisit.com/history_theory/library_online_ebooks/tom_turner_english_garden_design/nineteenth_and_twentith_century
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02248/rodmarton1_2248169b.jpg

2 comments:

  1. These types of gardens are so nice for homes as they complement any kind of home by drawing the eye to their colorful design. Do you hope to have a home like those of Jekyll and Leutens as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the homes designed by Jekyll and Leutens, but to be perfectly honest I preferred the gardens to the physical homes. I definitely appreciated Leutens’ architectural designs, but I am not sure if I actually see myself living in one of those homes.

      Delete